Brag Post about my Signing Baby Genius

It may seem that I focus on what Jack can't do, but honestly I am super proud of my 4th son. I wish I had thought to do sign language with the first three.




Words Jack can sign:


Eat
Drink
Cracker
Cookie
Water
Milk
Banana
Finished
Mom
Change/Diaper
More
Bird
Fish
Cat
Dog
Horse
Frog
Baby
Shoe
Sock
Hat
Coat
Shirt
Please
Thank You
Car
Train
Airplane
Boat
Ball
Doll
Bear
Sleepy
Bath
Brush Teeth
Book
Bug
Up
Down
Tree
Flower
Outside
Rain
Snow
Stop
Go
Again/More
Star
Good
Hot
Cold
Yes
No
You
Me
Dirty/Yucky
Clean
Telephone
Music
Apple
Pear
Carrot
Cry
Nice
Mouse
Hippo
Cow
Pig
Lion
Peas
Cheese
Monkey
Lala (fingerspelled, almost has this one)
Write
Light
Kiss
Goat
Sheep
Hurt
Cry




WOW!!!!!! I just went back and counted. I got 83 words. I knew he was getting a few under his belt, but I hadn't bothered to count in some time. Now, I am REALLY impressed!   Everytime I thought I probably had them all another one would come to mind. Now, he does more than 75% of these perfectly. The other 25% he knows the word when I say it and attempts the sign getting pretty close.


He also knows his body parts, dances like a fool, remembers the moves to certain songs, not only walks well, but runs! He climbs on things and follows directions very well. Tonight, I told him to throw his diaper away as we were getting naked for a bath and he put it in the bathroom garbage can which I didn't even know he knew about.


I think that is why I get worried for him. If you could see the frustration in his eyes when he tries to copy my mouth.


The most endearing thing is watching him "babble in sign". If he is trying to tell me something and does not know the sign for it, he will try a few on me and then kind of make up some arm/hand movements. It is adorable.



And on top of all this, he is one gorgeous dude.




Even when I am torturing him with holiday wear.  Bad Mommy!!
6 Responses
  1. Angela Says:

    He's super cute. I'm so impressed by all the words he knows!! That's an amazing vocabulary for a 1 year old. You know he's smart. Now, just to find out what the disconnect is and work to get past it.


  2. Anna Says:

    That's amazing!!
    knowing all those signs will soon give him the confidence to start using words without worrying about not being understood. I wish I would of done it with my first 2, but with my 3rd it was great!. I almost miss it now that I can't get him to be quiet! LOL


  3. Bonita Says:

    What a great list! I am sure you are finding that having all those signs makes this time in your lives so much fun! I signed with my three and loved every minute of it!

    Enjoy every sign!

    Bonita Broughton
    ECE Program Specialist
    Baby Signs Institute


  4. You were right to publish a brag post. As a Mom, you have much to be proud of.

    Signing is such a great way to connect with your kids before they are verbal. A big pat on the back from me to you.

    -Francesca


  5. WeeHands Says:

    What a cute post! This list is fantastic Monica! Enjoy him!

    Sara Bingham, WeeHands Founder
    Author of The Baby Signing Book

    “There are no hands so small that they cannot make a difference in the world." - Author Unknown


  6. Sleep Goblin Says:

    *laughing* "babble in sign" I love it! So adorable.


Related Posts with Thumbnails