Speech Therapy is a GO!!

Jack had a blast at his evaluation today.  There were lots of toys and climbing things used in OT and the SLP was a big ole kid herself.  She spent a great deal more time actually working and playing with Jack than the SLP at the hospital.  She checked his chewing and tongue movement, in addition to other things.

Again, his actual language tested awesome, well above age level.  He did two sounds while there.  His normal aaahhhhh as he played and an N.  He did sign to her and she knew sign also, so that was cool watching him sign to somebody other than me.  

She says he more than qualifies for services.  Definitely speech therapy, but perhaps occupational therapy as well because of his chewing/texture problems.   We did discuss apraxia and she says he has many features that you find in apraxic kids.  But the tests to actually diagnose apraxia are intended for older children.  

Later today the SLP from the hospital called to tell me that the insurance did not approve for services through them.  So, Early On is his only path right now.

With the tragedy of little Donald, I am very calm and accepting of this for Jack.  The grass is NOT always greener.  I will stay right here in my own yard.
3 Responses
  1. Such a great pick-me-up post for Friday. Glad to read that Jack did so well at his evaluation. It makes my heart sing to see this bit of wonderful news.

    I have to tell you that your delight as a Mom comes shining through this post. :)

    -Francesca


  2. gwendomama Says:

    We did discuss apraxia and she says he has many features that you find in apraxic kids. But the tests to actually diagnose apraxia are intended for older children.



    OH MONICA we were meant to meet - whether or not your little guy has apraxia! THEY ARE NOT! Apraxia can be diagnosed as early as 18 mos old - I was skeptical and didn't ask for a test until he was 2 3/4...but I find that I could have. You need to ask for a skilled professional who can administer the (I think) Kaufman test for Apraxia - http://www.kidspeech.com/index.php?page=56 - and go from there.


  3. gwendomama Says:

    OMG and did I forget to mention that most kids with apraxia have chewing issues because of oral motor deficits? since our bubbles has been getting apraxia-specific speech therapy, he is now eating new foods that he would not have touched 2 months ago!


Related Posts with Thumbnails