A Real Post

Happy new year to everyone.

We had a good Christmas and a quiet new year, which I like.  I got several thoughtful things for my birthday.  A new outfit, a gift certificate to an excellent nursery (like I needed a reason to want spring here) and some very comfy pajamas.  My parents actually stayed until after the ball dropped this year.  Makes a daughter proud.

I was officially sworn in as Chairperson of Children's Education for Lakeview Baptist Church.  It was brief, just part of the service today.  Sadly, our Pastor retired on December 31st, so it was done by a guest pastor.  We don't even have an interim pastor hired yet.  Sigh.  We are going to have to really pull together as a church this year.  And pray pray pray.

Today had a sour spot.  I made an adorable sign language poster with some of Jack's most common signs for the church nursery.  The ladies were beginning to need to know what he was trying to tell them.  So, I went and bought a book, copied, cut, pasted, decorated.  I should have taken a picture of it.  Today when I went to pick up Jack after service they told me he was doing a sign NOT on the board.  Little stinker, I forgot to put the sign for "help" on there.

Then in all their grandmotherly wisdom they laid all the most common helpful phrases on me.

"He is a boy"
"He is gonna just open his mouth one day and talk full sentences"
"Don't pressure him, he will do it when he is ready"
and my favorite
"well he has all those older brothers, he doesn't need to talk"

I know I have complained about this before, I am just venting.  They mean well and those old grannies LOVE my boy.  They are such lovey caring women.  I wish they were right, but I know in my heart that they are not.  I have three other children, I KNOW Jack has a speech problem.  He is 17 months and has zero verbal words.  He can no longer imitate me saying bubble.  That has come and gone.  Another sign that points to Apraxia.  Which, by the way, is not a speech delay, but a neurological disorder.

I just smiled at them and said, I hope you are right!

And I do.
1 Response
  1. Happy New Year! Glad you got some rockin gifts for your birthday and Christmas. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to get PJ's...probably have more than I can count. Unlike your parents I did not see the ball drop. Ahh, the like after kids. :) -Kacey


Related Posts with Thumbnails