A Real Post

Things are good here in my house.  The weather has been crazy, the boys have been sick off and on and I have cracked my big toenail in two.  The toe will live, but under protest.  I swear I heard it begging to be put down. 

I have been down thinking about my Nana.  She is in her 80s now and suffering from Alzheimers.  She has survived bladder cancer, a divorce, being widowed, the near death of her only son, and much more.  She is now reduced to attempting escape from the nursing home in a pack of gospel singers.  She called her son the other day to tell him that her shift was over and they wouldn't let her leave.  She is going through roommates like crazy.  She has a penchant for smacking people with her catheter bag.

They live far away from me in Arkansas so I have been avoiding dealing with her new reality.  In my memory, she is vibrant, articulate, and headstrong.  I hate the new image clashing with the old.

I can only imagine what it is like to be in her skin now.
1 Response
  1. C. Beth Says:

    I'm so sorry. My mother-in-law is 80 and dealing with severe mood swings & memory loss. It's really tragic to watch.


Related Posts with Thumbnails