I Love Subtitles

I love foreign  comedies and the occasional drama.  Netflix, my  new boyfriend, has been providing me with old favorites and some new good ones this weekend.  I thought I would share.

Elling
This is a sweet story of two awkward men newly released from a mental institution in Norway.  They are given an apartment in Oslo and encouraged to be normal.  This is a favorite and I love seeing bits of myself in people considered crazy.

Monsoon Wedding
I think this became more mainstream than the others I love.  I was first sent a song from this soundtrack by an internet friend and loved it.  I then searched out the movie and also loved it.  The story follows an Indian family as they prepare for an arranged marriage.  There are a few dramatic twists and an adorable inner story of a second wedding.   Only the dialog in Hindi is subtitled, so be prepared to pay attention as the heavily accented English can be tough.

My life as a dog
This was a new one for me, but very sweet.  A young Swedish boy is sent to live with family while his mother is ill.  The small town is filled with interesting characters who all welcome him with open arms.  There is some nudity, but it isn't overtly sexual.  This movie kept me interested and happy.  I will probably watch it again.

Ha-Ushpizin
An orthodox Jewish couple prepares to celebrate the Succoth holiday with no money in modern day Jerusalem.  Much prayers bring a miracle and a test in the form of two unexpected travelers.  The acting by the two main characters was incredibly believable and touching.  I really enjoyed this movie although it seemed slow in some parts.
0 Responses
Related Posts with Thumbnails