Insomniatic Post

I can't sleep tonight. But, today (or yesterday by now) Jack had an EXCELLENT speech therapy session. The night before he was playing with homemade play-dough and as usual I was babbling to him. I kept focusing on the word dough for a bit and he said it. His first O sound. Even his Uh-oh was more of a uh-eh.

Then today at ST I told her she should get out the play-dough and he kept saying it. Dough, Dough, Dough. He says it with a very strong D and the O is kinda nasaly, but he said the O sound!!!

The OT worked with him for about 15 minutes and talked with me about the home work he and I had done this past week. His tongue has no lateral movement really and what little there is is always to his right side. He also will not stick his tongue straight up or out. When out of his mouth it is always hanging down his chin. I am not sure if you can get the visual or not.

He is still choking in thin liquids and chewing foods a bit then spitting them out. Mixed textures and sizes come right back out. He just doesn't know what to do with some foods.

They recommended that I ask his PCP to order a barium swallow study. I made the appointment and we shall see what she says.  We are wondering if his tongue is weak or is it a motor planning issue or maybe even a possible neurological deficit?



Bonus parenting joy today- Jack said HI for the first time.  My cup runneth over.
0 Responses
Related Posts with Thumbnails